View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Ouch. Sucks for him...

he does have a few (and i stress that) good points.

however, he's basing it on his 10 minute ride, with a improperly tuned engine, and treating it like a full on motorcycle.

he mentions alot about the clutch lever and the brake lever being an annoyance claiming that "If you need to apply the brakes then you also need to pull in the clutch. If you don't pull in the clutch then the engine keeps working against you pulling you forward while you are trying to stop the bicycle with the brakes."

this is only true, if you are still giving it throttle. otherwise, you are using both friction and engine braking.

he also states 'The front and rear brakes on a bicycle are designed to stop the bicycle at normal riding speeds, which for most of us is ten or twelve miles per hour or maybe slower.'

He's right, the rim brakes are not designed to work at those speeds. I say it's his fault for expecting them to.

While he makes a valid point about the choke being a pain to work while riding, if the engine was jetted correctly you really shouldn't need much choke at all to start it.

He goes on to talk about how the traffic in his area makes it unsafe and dangerous to ride a motorized bike due to '...the motorist doesn't understand is that you are traveling at 20 to 30 miles an hour and not 5 or 10 miles per hour.'
'Motorists traveling on the road in the same direction you are traveling will become impatient driving behind you and some of them will pass so close to you that they actually force you off the road as they turn back into your lane.'

Obviously i don't feel this guy knows what it's truely like to ride a bicycle. Regardless of your speed, traffic will simply act like you are not there. therefore he should have expected that traffic will behave like so.

Again he seems to be basing this off his 10 minute ride where he expected it to be like a motorcycle.

just my $.02 on his article.
They see me rollin'
they hatin'

Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.