View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Pan Am Bike Tour for My Son and Me

im not trying to discourage you from making the trip. Im just saying you should have more mechanical experience with a motorized bike before taking this trip. I have had problems that have made my bike totally unusable. motor or no motor, stripped hub bearings make a bike unrideable. a bent or warped rim also makes a bike unrideable. if you dont have a bike that can handle the power of a motor, you can damage your bike and it can become unrideable. There is also a big difference between mechanical aptitude and mechanical experience. I never said you couldnt figure it out. I just think you should take the time to get to know your motorized bike really well before you take a 4000 mile trip on it, regardless of how much or how little you will use the motor. I started out with no mechanical experience whatsoever, and in 3 years, I have only been to a bicycle shop a few times for rim straightening and having a pedal crank replaced. I have since learned how to install the crank, but rim straightening is still something I would have done at a shop. Just build a bike and learn all you can. If you have the aptitude that you say you do, then you will be ready for this trip next year. I just wouldnt recommend to anyone, man or woman, new to this hobby, to just build a bike and take off on a 4000 mile trip, regardless of their mechanical aptitude.

"and my time is a piece of wax, fallin' on a termite, that's chokin' on the splinters"

"If we change the way we look at things, the things we look at will change"