View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Old dog learns new trick...Welding!

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
What number shield are you using. I've found that a #10 is actually too dark for MIG welding. I prefer a #8 and I have a corrective lens in my hood ahead of the shield. If you wear glasses by all means wear them while welding and provide the weld area with good lighting.

I had a couple of bad experiences with the self darkening hoods and I still relay on my old fixed one and quick head tilt to lower it when I have the torch (tip) in position. Youngsters will laugh at that but you gotta do what works for you. Good luck.
I'm back to using my old helmet, I have one of the auto-darkining helms but the sheild has a malfunction of some kind and the light flares so bad I can't see the weld. I'm using a #9 shade in one of my grandfather's old face sheilds and can see the weld just fine. Admittedly the auto mask is an old one, one of the early models. I'll most likely buy a new one in the future. There are times when I have to crawl and squeeze myself into tight places in racecars to weld and there's just no room to be flipping a facemask down...especially when down is up