View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Newb to the thread, but not the bikes.

Ti3... Hi Tom... sounds like you have a good beginning in Motor assisted Bikes. I'll give you what I know for the questions you asked. #1 ... The sound deadener. I haven't used the stuff from SBP that you asked about, but its probably the easiest, and least noticable. I cut up some dense foam and glued it to the outside of the clutch cover, and it worked great. If you put your hand on the clutch cover when the motor is running, you'll notice it doesn't take much. Maybe as little as using undercoating spray on the inside. I wanted to cover up the Skyhawk logo so I did the foam outside then painted it. #2... The gas tank. My first motorized bicycle has a rear tank from a Honda commercial engine. It holds 1.3 gal. and sits in a home made rear rack. The tank was free from a junked out motor. My 2nd motorized bicycle, I did an in frame, home made 1.33 gal. tank. Cost was only time and welding gas, and paint. Total time was about 2 weeks. The metal was from a scrapped out pressure tank (FREE ). There are people on the site who make tanks, some cutom made for your bike, some cylindrical to hang from the seat, and some for a rear rack. I can't afford them but they look great. #3 Chain tensioner. I think you are referring to one carried by Tractor Supply stores. Check there. #4 Gas line. I found some nice see-through yellow gas line at Fleet Supply (similar to Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply ) in the chainsaw/mower section, and they carry it in 8 different sizes --$2.89 per ft. --- also got the filter there. Unless you plan on hanging your bike up by the fuel line, I can't see a need for anything stronger, although for a particular 'look', you might want to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas tanks 001.jpg (118.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Gas tanks 002.jpg (122.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Gas tanks 003.jpg (131.3 KB, 48 views)