View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Old dog learns new trick...Welding!

My thanks to each of you for your kindness in offering suggestions and encouragement. I hadn't realized this little Hobart could be hooked up with gas. I will look in to it, but probably not until summer when I am hoping a few more leaves appear on the money tree. Another consideration is that I don't have a place indoors to work out of the wind. As I understand it even a light breeze can make welding with gas impossible. I'm picturing in my mind making a couple of movable panels which could be set up to shield from wind movement.

Dan and I have talked about using steel for this tank a little on the heavy side precisely due to the tendency for burning through. If I can manage to make this tank with flux core wire then welding with gas later will be that much easier. Since the tank will be painted I can grind down what is bad and ugly, go back at it again and try to make things right. It might take longer that way, but it will allow me to proceed with what I have at hand to work with.

Actually I'm encouraged with today's results. I had no expectations of learning to weld quickly. I didn't learn to swim in a day. And if I remember right, some sixty years ago I didn't learn to ride a bike in a day either. Lot's of riding and some crashes were involved. That my welds made the pieces stick together pretty solidly is impressive to me. I'm actually welding and making something... woohoo! And it will just get better.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...