View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Harbor Freight Mig welder

If I may...the gasless welders are okay if you're welding fence posts or tractor parts in the field but if you're looking for a nice clean weld with minimul splatter and fumes go for the gas. I use c-25 mix which is Argon / CO2 and can weld anything from very thin sheetmetal to 1/4" plate. There are several good welders available, Miller, Lincoln, Hobart etc. but I'd stay away from the very cheap ones made in China. They're hard to get accesories and parts for and welder repair shops usually won't touch them if you need it worked on. I have a twelve year old Hobart 110v machine along with a high frequency Tig unit. I use the wirefeed ten to one over the tig just because it's so handy and forgiving. The advice from another member to have a welder/friend come and give you some basic instruction is good advice. Wirefeed (mig) welding is easy for most people to master after just a little time. Practice, practice, practice will assure your welds are safe and attractive. Good luck and easy ridin'
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"