View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: ECO Question - Electric vs Gas

Originally Posted by mabman View Post
The question you need to ask yourself is how many miles a day, and what would your longest trip that you see yourself wanting motor assist doing is? If you ride 20 miles and under per day and never want to exceed that by much then electric is your best bet.

However if you want to go longer distances then gas will probably be best. Keep in mind that here in OR the limit is 35cc< and 24 mph. But the bright side is that it does allow you 4 mph more in legal speed. A 4 cycle 35cc like the Robin or Honda will do that all day long also. The problem is how to transfer that energy to the bike and I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do so is with a friction drive. Reduction gearing systems just rob too much power from a smaller engine and also parasitic drag on the bikes conventional drivetrain which makes it less like a bike when you just want to pedal.

As far a the eco thing I don't have much of an opinion on that other than if you are conscious of reducing your overall usage of elec/fuel in a realistic way that is a good thing.
I think that's a good synopsis Mabman and I agree. BTW, I find it interesting what you've concluded with FD. If I remember right you used to think differently on that, no?

Last edited by happyvalley; 03-07-2012 at 12:03 PM.