View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Harbor Freight Mig welder

Originally Posted by ;36911
I've looked at that unit myself. One of my neighbors has a Lincoln buzz box that
uses sticks to weld with. He was at a buddy of his recently and saw the one he had that was gas-less and was quite impressed with the size and ease of use.

I'd suggest you unpack it and start doing a bit of reading. If you know anyone who can weld get them to stop by and show you how to do some stuff with it.
Harbour has bunches of feed wire for those and it ought to do any bike project
you'd want.

When I borrow my neighbor's Lincoln....I gotta wheel it over here on a dolly and take the window screen out of the laundry room so I can plug it into the
240 the dryer runs on. I have friends who work around shops where they weld who bring me a few sticks at a time from work. I now have a collection of various grades or rod (sticks). But having a unit like you got would be fine.
Just have some protective gloves, mask, and welders jacket to keep the UV radiation from sun burning you.
eDJ, thanks for the info.. the unit comes with a welder's mask, good advice on the jacket, I remember the little burn marks I'd get on the heavy leather welder's jacket years ago....