View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Are MBs the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

Hummmmm, where do I start?

Just sitting back and watching this one and now I wanted to speak my personal $0.02 from what I've seen and experienced with a couple of the topics here.

I live in a small town area, we have one bike shop which is small, I have riden one of my bikes 10+ mile to the shop from where I live a couple different times to get parts & pieces, the owner was a spandex-r for many years and serves the needs of several of those type riders we have around here, the shop owner was amazed at my MB, he did tell me he had concerns with a 30+ MPH bike if someone wasn't wearing bike helmet.....blah blah blah.....

In my area I have never come across anyone yet that didn't think my bikes were very cool or very neet as many have said, cops wave and smile, other bike riders just look at me and either wave or give me that, ( I wish I had one of those looks ).

I do understand the better than thou snob crowd as well, I have gotten that a few times when I'm cruising on my 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim, ya know the guy that has the Harley Sportster or the ***. made V Twins we see everywhere these days, some of them look at me like look at that hillbilly on that OLD lack of BLING bike, that doesn't bother me because Yea, my bike is 30 years old and it's not all shiny, but it only has 20,000 actual miles on it, it gets 48+mpg and it will eat most of those 800-1200 cc V Twins for lunch in the quarter mile and farther for some if I'm so inclined.

I said all of this because I believe that it really doesn't matter what we have as long as we like it, honestly who give a rats behind what a spandex-r or anyone else for that matter thinks about your bike and how you have it rigged up, engine, motor or whatever, If you can afford a $1500 bike buy it, ride it, build it, enjoy it..... if you can only afford a $100 bike buy it, ride it, build it.

It always puts a bur under my saddle when I hear people talking as if something has to cost X $$$$ amount on the upper end of things to be something that someone can justify being proud of.

I say buy what you can, build it how you can, be proud of what you have, if a spandex-r dislikes a motorized wally world rig, they aren't very likely gonna care for a $1000 bike any more, but at the end of the day........WHO FREAKING CARES...!

It's so funny to me how so many people want to be different, stand out in the crowd and be seen as the upper crust, based on what they have rather than what & who they are, many dress themselves as pretty & as expensive as they can on the outside with their personal goods inorder to cover the sad uglyness of a person they really are inside and they justify themselves in many ways by putting others down as being their lesser.

I've put over 2000 miles on the seat of my 3 bikes and not a one of them cost over $120initially, I may have $225-$250 in a couple of them before the engine cost for a total maybe $350-$400 and my bike sare very dependable, they're all comfortable & very enjoyable, to me that's all that matters.

Good people don't care what you have, they just hope you enjoy it....!

Just my $0.02 nothing more nothing less.!

Peace, map
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!