View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Unhappy Re: Are MBs the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom?

I agree, MaBs are a perfect, economical self-transport choice, and people are poorly informed about them.

There really are some "hillbilly" contraptions though, caused by people buying the ebay china kits and throwing them on any old bike out of their backyard, and thinking it has turned into a motorcycle.

Many Americans can be persuaded to buy a $500 cell phone, a $1500 couch, a $2500 TV, and a $30,000 car, but can't spend $1000 for a bicycle.

At $500 for a bike, and a few hundred for a friction drive and decent motor, you can do very well. Many Americans are poorly informed about bicycles though, regarding both the equipment and riding.

We don't fit in their televised virtual lives, so they can't figure us out. (Americans watching more TV than ever)

Originally Posted by biknut View Post
After having a motorized bicycle since last September I've come to the conclusion, based on reactions from the people I've met, that we're like the Beverly Hillbillies of bicycledom lol.

Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

What do I think? I think we're the most perfect form of personal transportation ever invented. We're just misunderstood.
1" roller Dax Friction Drive and Tanaka 3300 with mods.