Thread: IF
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: IF

Originally Posted by deacon View Post
if the unexpected makes you crazy, don't buy one of these bike kits. You will be insane within the first year.

I have been working with alternate engine bikes lately so haven't started my china girl bike in a month or more. Today I thought I had better run it a little. So, I had left it full of gas and it was dead empty. That should have been a hint something was wrong. I poured a quart of gas in it anyway.

It poured out the carb. I thought the worst of course so I pulled the bowl to see what the deal was. I even shot some cleaner in the bottom of the carb mechanism. When I reassembled it, it did the same thing, gas poured. It had a huge leak at the gas line. I have never seen one leak so much at the gas line. I had some old clear gas line so I stuck it on. That solved problem one. It also the shut off gas tank valve doesn't.

I finally got it started and it was rough as a cob. (As my daddy would say, based on when country folks used corn cobs after a bathroom break if you know what I mean.) I finally smoothed out be was louder than my ww bike. Second clue that I ignored. I rode it to the lake and back. When I got to my driveway I noticed the muffler was hanging by a single loose nut.

I tightened it down then off I went in search of an m6 nut. Two home improvement stores later, I put it on in their parking lot and home I came.

Now a man with less patience would have set fire to the bike. Lord he would have done it the first day, but since the bike got me building alternate engine bikes, I can't complain. I do plan to sell it for scrap though,
This story should not be the "unexpected" it is the "Challenge".
My world of Motorized Bikes

"Progress may have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." -- Ogden Nash