View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Point Beach gets an EZM kit.

This morning I started pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the chain just would not roll smoothly around the clutch sprocket. If I leave the chain all sloppy loose everything is good. If I tension it to 1/2 to 3/4 inch free play it binds up.
Chain alignment is good.
FINALLY I figured it out! I double checked the mount plate for dead level as measured from left to right. It is off by 1 degree, tilted to the left.
I checked the bearing support for plumb. Zeroed the bicycle by measuring the seat post tube and adjusting my rig to set it at exactly 90 degrees straight up and down.
Next I measured the bearing support. It has a 4 1/2 tilt to the left. The clutch sprocket must be crooked too as the output shaft is held true by the bearing support.
So now I either twist the EZM back plate to correct for this angle or I shim under the left side motor mounts to raise that side of the engine. I am wanting to do the twist rather than the shimming.
Any EZM gurus out there, what do you think of this idea?

Oh yeah, more pictures:

Chain to seat stay clearance. Also shows chain to tire clearance, about 5/8 inch.

Same looking the other way.
"It's a chinagirl. It's a sometimes fun little engine that often will break your heart. It's disposable.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by GearNut; 02-09-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: double checked and corrected stated tilt degrees