View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: DIY english wheel by request (Dan)

Watching anyone who is a master of a craft, makes it look easy. I learned respect at a young age, when some of them would say "give it a try)!

Some things I have mastered over the years. However one lifetime is not enough for all the crafts I would like to master.
Unless you are born with certin gifts, there are things that you will not be able to master, but that shoulden't stop you. Building the E-wheel I can do but don't have the time (and maby not the talent) it would take to become a master at it.

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
This is a tool that requires years of experience to master. However anyone can use an English Wheel. Just stick the metal in and start rolling and moving it around. You'll develope a technique sooner or later and you might be amazed at what you can accomplish.

The real challenge comes when you have to make a mirror image of the piece you just made. Example would be the 'other half' of a fuel tank. Duplicating almost any custom fabricated part in reverse can be interesting.

There are classes in the use of the wheel but knowing the basics won't be enough to successfully make complex shapes. It will take practice, practice and then a little more practice.
Renowned sheetmetal worker, Ron Covell offers on-site classes in custom sheetmetal working. I've watched his videos where he builds steel fenders for classic cars. He makes it look it ain't Ron Covell Creative Metalworking Workshops