View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Smile Re: Chain Tensioner Ideas? Panama Jack

I don't use them- they're heavy and finicky-

If you have a derailleur, then that tensions the pedal side. I have another build with a single frewwheel. I set the motor chain first and you have a larger chance of getting it into a workable rear droput position- not too forward and not too far back- without having to use a 1/2 link there, than not.

If you have a single cog on the pedal side, try to equal that up when you've got the motor side reasonably centered in the dropout.- you more likely may have to use a 1/2 link on that side to even it up-getting it absolutely perfect can be tricky- and new chains DO STRETCH and may need readjusting for that. But it's easier to split and work with the pedal chain sizes and half links come in both 1/8" and 3/32 sizes. A slight bit of slack will work on the pedal side- but not all that much- and your chainwheels and cog have to be straight and in line.

You have a cruiser I guess and usually there's enough clearnce to just DROP the tensioner- the smaller the sprocket you use the better also- a 36 or 34 has no clearance problems on a normal cruiser frame. Above a 44 you might not clear the frame stays as well.

heres a Micargi Cruiser and a 34 sprock- no clearnce issues at all, and the derailleur takes up slack on the pedal side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chain.jpg (352.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 01-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.