Originally Posted by CTripps
I tried that set-up with my new tube and tire, but I couldn't get it to settle properly between the tube and tire. I changed to using it as a liner between the tube and the tread of the tire. I'm hoping to reduce the puncture problems I'm plagued with, so the debris now has to go through a new kevlar lined tire, 2-3 thicknesses of old tube and then the new self-sealing tube. I'm pretty sure the pressure variations I have now are all due to the overnight temp hitting freezing with the days not much warmer.
You could try pumping up the tube a bit, wrap the old one around like a glove, then secure with electrician's tape. Then install new tube.