View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Introducing myself as suggested.

Hey there. I go by Clock. I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area in Minnesota. I've been into bicycling as long as I can remember, and in the last 7 years I've gotten into motorcycling. I do all my own automotive/bike work. I own a 2001 Honda Shadow 1100cc. However; I've been looking to find a middle ground. I want to ride a bike and be able to exercise, but with the option to kick it over and cruise.

I'm currently trying to decide on a kit. I'm leaning toward an 80cc 2 stroke kit, but I'd actually consider something even bigger if It fits in a large frame (I can buy any frame on the internet). I'm a big guy, 6' 0" - 280lbs. So I want an engine that can pull me up a hill if need be. I'm very interested in the options for these small engine kits. Specifically; I've been pondering transmissions: A derailleur attached to the engine chain? Of course the clutch would be hard to do. (If there is already a discussion for this topic please direct me) I am also open to electric kits, but it seems like the batteries aren't efficient enough yet to be as fast as gas engines.

I actually started this quest by looking for Mo-peds on Craigslist/E-bay, then later discovering that it's clearly better to do your own build. You end up with something newer, more fuel efficient, and much much cooler.

Last edited by ClockWerk; 01-11-2012 at 10:19 PM.