View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: This is priceless episode II

Hey Jim, I showed my wife (who admits she has limited mechanical experience) the pictures you provided of the atrocity.
She displayed her significant IQ by asking "Is that a joke?".
When I explained that somebody charged a fellow money to build him this bike, she needed to be assured that the builder wasn't anybody on the forum that I knew of.
She wanted to know if it made it there under its own power.
She's no mechanic and even she knows that was no place to put an exhaust.
She didn't think the drivetrain looked safe. (I wasn't coaching her on anything, just showing her pictures.)
She thought there was too much rubber crammed into the rear mount ("Shouldn't that be bolted down a little closer?"). And she wanted to know why the front wasn't bolted down at all ("Those metal straps are supposed to keep this engine from moving all around down there?").
Jim, even my wife could tell that was a horrid job that other makeshift (or is it "shifty", or maybe "shiftless") bike builder did. She didn't have to actually say that she wouldn't ride a thing like that, the glare in her eyes told the story.
And I was amused the whole time. Thanks Jim. We're glad people like you are around to keep monstrosities like that from giving us bad names.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"