View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Cold bending 1 piece cranks?

OK,'ll be ready to try to bend one in a couple days. I built the hub fork tonight. 2 pieces of 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 6 bar stock with 2 holes to put 5/8 pins, one thru the hole inside the pin that drives the chainring and one opposite on the outside of the crankarm. the other end of these plates are drilled to take a piece of 3/4 x 2 x12 barstock.
A 4 foot cheater pipe will be stuck on this, and positoned against the ground to hold up the bike and take the bending pressure of the other bending tool, similar to the way a hand operated conduit bender works.
The other tool will just be a piece of 1"x2 1/2 x 12 stock with a 7/8" hole to recieve the crank leg, and a cheater pipe on the other end. The hole's edges will be rounded to keep from marring the crank when bending pressure is applied.

Then the tools will be re-positioned farther down the crank arm, to add the offset bend in the opposite directon, near the tip of the crank arms. Might hafta puts slugs made from cut off pedal studs in the holes to keep the holes from distorting when bending so close.
This is only theory, until i try it. I'll post some pics if it works or not LOL.

Last edited by wayne z; 12-20-2011 at 09:45 PM.