View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Default Re: Warning to All! - Everyone look at this!

Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
I think after a day's reading on this forum, you should walk away with the idea that the STUDS need to be replaced with the highest quality you can get. best would be to get some grade 8 bolts and cut the heads off. We all (mostly) know this. Have I done it yet? No. Will I? Absolutely.

I'm one of the many people here that do not see this as just a hobby or "toy." I use the bike for my daily transportation.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion. But just because yours failed, doesn't mean these motors are going to kill everybody. No offense, but honestly to me this sounds like a person that has the brakes fail in their car randomly is now running around "OMG DONT DRIVE CARS YOU WILL DIE THEY ARE UNSAFE"

How did you have the motor mounted in the front? It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like you drilled through the frame.

So you mounted a cheap Chinese motor kit on a cheap Walmart bike (probably made in China). Looks like you compromised the integrity of that cheap bike frame by drilling it, and you removed the pedals and associated hardware thus improperly using said cheap motor and bike, and you're surprised something went wrong?

I'm sorry it happened to you, and you're right, it could have been much much worse, and I'm happy it wasn't. I think quite a few people here have had motor mounts break on them. But I think we all know that riding a bicycle (especially an $80 walmart special) at 30mph is dangerous and could end up with your untimely demise. That's a risk we all take and try to minimize.

Just my $0.02.
Couldn't have said it better myself.