View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: I don't know how you guys do it

Originally Posted by tsujinago View Post
Of course, riding motorbicycles at a leisurely pace and keeping to slower roads is preferable most of the time but sometimes you're forced to take a 30-40mph main road to get to your destination - in those cases, I personally think it's just far more respectful towards other motorists to keep along with the flow of traffic than to be a potential obstruction on the road.
Being respectful on the road is a swell thing, if only worked both ways. More often than not, when I am out riding whether it be a bicycle or motored bike the disrespect, or perhaps more accurate complete disregard, from motorists seems patently a one sided affair. Personally, the only time I 'claim a lane' on a motorized bicycle is in slow, urban, downtown type traffic to make left turns. The existing MAB/moped regs where I live are pegged at 25 MPH max speed but even if it wasn't there is no way I'd be dicing it up with car traffic at 40 on a bicycle on open thoroughfares. As I used to tell my kids when they rode bikes: You're invisible........even if you're in the right you're the one who could end up dead wrong.

Originally Posted by tsujinago View Post
You raise a good point in terms of the legislation of motorbicycles - but anything that was previously classified as a moped or motorcycle would likely see little change if motorbicycles were ever to be regulated (although they haven't been under much scrutiny for the past 100 years and aren't common enough for most people to fuss over). Seeing as the only vehicles not classified as a moped or motorcycle would be the slower motorbicycles you seem to prefer, it is not likely that they would fall under any harsher legislation than what mopeds currently fall under - for the benefit of complete peace of mind with the police with a large legal grey area patched.
Yes, perhaps they would not fall under more stringent regulations than currently on the books for mopeds, and I'd probably be okay with that, but inherent in the premise is that already a large majority of moped regs now dictate displacement under 50cc and 2 HP. Lights, turn signals, rider safety equipment wouldn't be too bad to meet compliance, but DOT speed rated tires, wheels, and braking might become more problematic as well as having to supply an MCO or MSO if required.