View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: R,i,p, nellybelle

I never had second thoughts about getting back on the saddle after my crash. (Really, it's true.) But I will admit, there are now places in town where I won't ride. The congestion from road construction or poor street layout and traffic flow makes for a real white-knuckle trip for any cyclist. And motorists are slow/loathe to accept the cyclist's presence on "their" roads.
The doctors did a mighty fine job of patching me back together. But I couldn't quite do the same for my bike. I did, however, use the whole incident as an excuse to reconstruct the new bike "Tempus II" on a JC Higgins frame from a bike I saved. I now ride one seriously retro cruiser. It's in the thread "Scored a Higgins".
If you can, I say "Go for it. Get some part of the old girl up and running." But also, consider a good helmet. I haven't regretted it myself.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"