View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Do not mount it with rubber between the frame and engine mounts unless you engineer a standard automotive design.
Here's a few references:

There are alot more if you do a search for them.
Aaah, good to know. Wish I didn't get that rubber now, it's actually rather expensive at 15 bucks a square foot. I'm sure I can find a use for it. The real reason I wanted to use rubber was to prevent the mounts from vibrating and slowly working the aluminum frame down till it brakes. Maybe that won't happen at all or not for a very long time. Talking with mdlee he warded me against aluminum frame because of that but there aren't many steel frame mountain bikes. Looks like most everyone else has not had a problem though so I'll just go for it. Especially if I use my older schwinn bike I'm not to worried about damages.

Very helpful information, thank you!

@rustycase- I agree that taking apart this motor is risky but it is also risky to not replace parts on it. Guess that just makes it a risky motor!..
I'm reading through this thread
Good info on taking it apart. However for my use I think I'm going to stick with replacing the bolts with the ones from SBP. I don't have head bolt replacements though as those are also 6mm or 8mm which I'm not sure which size is mine yet so I'll follow your advice and leave that alone for now.