View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I am not sure, but I think it is just the shoes chattering against the drum when it is at an engine speed that is just not quite enough to stretch the spring hard and fully engage the shoes. It's a 2 shoe clutch (tanaka) so I think they are just bouncing back and forth when it does that.

I have a duplicate motor and I am going to put it on another Dax drive. If it does not do that, I would suspect it is the drum then. The drum does not visibly deviate when turned by hand, and it does not move left or right, as it is locked in place tight by the 1" roller with set screws.

Originally Posted by lowracer View Post
Is it the clutch shoes that are chattering? or the clutch drum not spinning totally true?
I have had similar issues with both my BMP kit & 2 Staton double bearing clutch drivers. It wasn't the clutch shoes or the bearings, but a loose/wobbly drum. On the BMP kit, I had to install an extra 1/2" washer which allows the shaft-end screw to remove excess play from the 1/2" shaft removing drum play. On both Staton drivers, there is no threaded end to the shafts, but by removing the driver, laying it flat on the ground & installing one to two extra 5/8" washers between the pulley & bearing & pushing down on it while locking the pulley set screw, it also removes the play allowing the drum to spin totally true...
1" roller Dax Friction Drive and Tanaka 3300 with mods.