View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Need help getting it started

Originally Posted by nightcruiser View Post
It should be really hard to make a #41 chain pop off the drive sprocket due to its size, you really have it coming off on you up there? As for putting it back on, you shouldn't have to dismount the motor? If you need slack in the chain to get it back on you should dismount your rear wheel to get that slack instead of the motor, should be much easier, specially if you have quick release hubs. If you have a master link just remove it and feed the chain over the motor sprocket by turning the sprocket with the spark plug tool that came with your kit, then reinstall the master link. I run a one piece #41 chain (no master link) and I can't get my chain to come off (or go back on) without pulling the drive sprocket off the motor. I have never had this chain come off on me (the kit chain did all the time), so I suspect if you have a #41 chain coming off you have a problem with the alignment of your rear sprocket. Either it is not centered on the hub and the wobble is making your chain bounce and come off, or the position of the rear sprocket is not aligned with the motor sprocket causing the chain to dog leg a bit and come off.
As for eliminating the tensioner all together, you would need to shorten the chain to the smallest size that will fit, then adjust the rear wheel position and motor mouting position until there is enough tension on the chain. Sounds to me like you are using too much tension if you have that much resistance, your chain should have some slack in it, it should have enough slack to lift it about 1/2" with your finger. My drive chain has a fair amount of slack in it and it never pops off on me, the slack has never caused me any problems. In fact, I find too much tension causes me more resistance, noise and problems than having a bit of slack.
i'm left handed, excuse my backward ways of thinking. i learn one way and stick to it.

the sprocket may be my problem. it seemed to fit nicely on the hub but maybe its not aligned anymore (an example is my coaster brake arm was very loose this morning, the nut somehow got loosened and i never mess with that part. maybe that happened to the sprocket too)

i have the sprocket shiny side facing away from the chain and it seems to be aligned straightly with the motor

i know how to feed the chain through (my very first post was that question haha).

ok well im going to loosen it up a bit, give it that 1/2" of slack. will report back.

Originally Posted by DuctTapedGoat
I like there to be about half an inch of slack in both directions on my chain, but I also primarily ride street and I have awesome alignment. You would only go tighter than half an inch if you rode offroad.
thats good to know, i will be off-roading sometimes.