View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Need help getting it started

Well I got the chain (major difference, makes the stock chain look like a toy) a few days ago and i have been tinkering with tension ever since.

its like i cant get that perfect amount of tension without using a chain tensioner and the idler on it is that cheapo plastic wheel. I don't think i can take it off either (maybe by cutting through it?).

so as a result of lack of tension, the chain pops off the sprocket and i have to re-do to whole thing (loosen the motor, drop it to where i can get it back on the sprocket, lift the motor, tighten it back up) very tiring process when you do it 10x a day and you only get 1 or 2 minute rides out of it.

so i have been browsing around to see if i can solve the problem and so far its a no go.

i have read some good suggestive posts and i had the idea to try this if i could find a 17T idler sprocket for a #41 chain.

right now i have the bike hooked up with the tensioner and cheapo idler and there is no slack in the chain (havent test rode it yet) and its very tight. The only problem is its a little hard to peddle (a assume because of the thickness of that chain in the idler?)