View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: I had a breakdown today...

A while ago I picked up a slab of granite, polished one side like a countertop, so I used that as a work surface (others use glass, I didn't have any I could get at easily that the wife wouldn't kill me for using, and she's trained as a machinist and was telling me about granite 'lapping tables' and such - but it has to be an absolutely flat surface). I don't recall the grit counts exactly, but really fine down to 'are you sure that's sandpaper?'.

Put a sheet down, sprinkle a little water on it, put the contact surface against it and move in circular motion with smooth, even pressure. I switched directions from time to time, and wiped off the sandpaper now and then. One past the paint, switched to even finer grit and went at it until the surface was nice and smooth and shiny. After that I took up the paper, sprinkled some baking soda on the slab, a bit of toothpaste and a bit of water makes a nice thin paste. Then back to polishing the surface against the slab. The idea being that the final contact surfaces are as close to completely smooth and level for the most contact you can get.

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser