Thread: Rust Removal
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Rust Removal

Originally Posted by Joe_Knesek View Post
In my experience media blasting is by far the best method for removing rust. However this is just the first stage of the pretreatment process. Once the rust is removed the part needs to be phosphatized & sealed prior to coating.
Your right about that Joe, Many years ago, I was restoring a full body frame from a 67 Chevelle sedan(2 door post) for some sections I could not get to with the disks and I had to sand blast.
I then treated the frame with a solution from an autobody supplyer-a type of rust mort that had phosfuric acid in it but had to rinse it right away before it was sealed.
Also worked in a machining plant that made couplings for the oil rig pipe tubbing and cassing after they were made, they were phosphated .
Also worked in a plant that coated big inch pipe for the pipe line companies and before the pipe was coated, it would run through a wheelabraider that blasted the pipe with steel particles called shot. It was very easy to get mad working at it or near it when the seals were bad cause shot would fly out of it and it was like getting repeatedly hit over and over with a bb gun.

Last edited by Blakenstein; 11-10-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: wording