View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Acorn nut stuck on stud

Originally Posted by Mozenrath View Post
I have finally decided to switch to long hex nuts, but one of the acorn nuts on my head has decided to stick to the stud, and I can't get it off. I can still pull it out with the whole stud, but if I want to replace it with new long hex nut, I'll need to get off that acorn nut.

Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by Mozenrath View Post
Well I replaced 3/4 of my nuts on the head. I couldn't get metric hex nuts that were long or shouldered, so I got some normal-sized ones and some appropriately sized washers. Seems to be working out great so far and they seem to actually loosen less from temperature changes than the original acorn nuts. One of my acorn nuts actually stripped! That's why I had no choice but to replace all except the one that's seized on the stud. I don't have a good vice, so I need to find another way to get it off. I really hope I don't jack up the stud, in which case I'll be mighty angry. :mad:
Sounds like the nut is cross threaded and not stripped. If it is stripped you most likely loose your head gasket. If it is cross threaded, get a socket and pull the nut with the stud out. Hopefully the nut and stud will come out together. GOOD studs and nuts are cheap. Trash them all as they are JUNK. Is it stripped or cross threaded? You mentioned
"stuck" in opening post and now you say "stripped" Big difference. I'm going to assume cross threaded as you mentioned you can pull the stud and nut together.

By the way... How can you "jack" up the stud.
Looking for HT's parts?
HT pre instillation tips.
Engine running problems?
HT breakdown Photos

Ron ><)))))*> Calera, Alabama

Last edited by Al.Fisherman; 11-09-2011 at 08:36 AM.