View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: A Mixte framed motorised bicycle for a lady.

Thank you for your kind words. Elgin had a wonderful designer in the early years. This model step through and the boys models on general were exceptional. The boys Bluebird and Robin are the most beautiful bikes ever made, in my opinion. Google "Elgin Bluebird" and you may agree. In the end, utility wins the day, however.
I got interested in step through bikes due to a partial paralysis from nerve damage initiated by being stuck by lightning some years ago which led to a disease called Guillane Barre Syndrome which is similar to polio. The short of it is that I was more crippled some years back and had difficulty swinging my leg over the seat to mount a bike. I also needed motor assist due to weakness in my lower legs. The good part of all this is that it is what led me into motor assisted bicycles and eventually building bikes and some wonderful friendships here with remarkable people. Step through is good for geezers and my interest in sidecars and three wheeled bikes is for when mounting and balancing is more difficult than it is right now, should the disease takes a downward turn. I'd like to keep riding one way or another for a long time yet. Feeling the wind in my face is good medicine. If I ever need a wheelchair I want the wheels to be in front and a gas engine driving the rear wheel. Ha! Vroom...
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...