View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Gutter Rider
Default Re: Hi all. I suspect i'll be getting to know ya'll

Originally Posted by BlackBeacher View Post
Wow thanks guys for all the welcomes.
Well I'll try to explain a bit better and run through what I have done and answer your questions first off.. so
It's a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc 2-stroke.
I have the proper mixture gas/oil.
I know it's wired correctly for the most part but... Well...

Welcome aboard, BB.
Alf did a write-up on things to do before running your mab. It's excellent, and you should look it up...
First thing that comes to mind, in your order of things, is you should disconnect the kill switch... they frequently are the cause of problems.

I believe you are supposed to take the brass cap off the spark plug exposing the thread? maybe this is incorrect, but my dad told me this so I did it.
Also the silver "staple like pin" inside the black cap which sits loosely on top of the spark plug; Should that be taken out? or should that be snapped over the brass cap of the spark pug?
I don't know If I have spark, and I don't know a good way to check that?

Pull the plug, then ground it against the cylinder head while a helper spins the back tire... look for the plug to spark. it will, or not.
Either way, get an NGKB6HS and life will be better for you and your new china girl. :-)
If no spark, it could also be a defective plug wire, as said earlier.

I'm also not sure how to check if gas is getting to the engine from the carburetor?

Take off the air cleaner, at least until you get the engine to start, once...
With the choke on, after pedaling a bit, you should have at least some amount of gas drip out the carb, if it's getting fuel...

And I got ahead of myself, above... since it hasn't fired for you, when you pull the plug, it should be wet with fuel. If it is, the fuel prob is more or less resolved and you can look for spark solutions.
...if the sparkplug is wet with fuel, and it might be flooded, leave the plug out, turn off the gas, and pedal it for 100ft or so to clear the cylinder of raw fuel. NOT too much, because the fuel carries your lubrication!!!

Also I'm not sure, but Should I post this under another section of the forum?
I have pedaled the engine pretty hard but all there is is turning of the engine. i have done this with the engine throttle all the way out and in with the throttle pulled and not pulled with cap on and cap off with the gas on always.

Good luck