View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Hi, I'm planning a huge adventure, please help!

Thx guys, as you may be able to read between the lines, I've spent most of my life wanderin' this land, lookin' for what there is to see

Originally Posted by navifty View Post
Is there any particular four stroke and mounting kit you'd recommend? Would you recommend a particular shift kit as well?
TBH no, I recommended a four stroke chain drive rack mount for it's ease & simplicity & comparatively low cost for it's reliability & longevity - because that's what the OP is requesting. In his unique situation it seems the best option in my opinion as rack mounts are pretty much a bolt n'go (or unbolt n'go if there's no other choice), they're usually a name-brand motor with commonly available parts and they're pretty much accepted w/o question as a motor assisted bicycle by law enforcement...

...but they're not really my personal preference as they do have some (minor) disadvantages.

For the daily driving/commuting I do I find the location of the engine mildly awkward, it's high center of mass a touch cumbersome - while this is irrelevant for a long distance trip as you'd have full packs/panniers to counterbalance/lower the CG, there is the fact you'd not be able to use the rack for cargo, as there's a motor there. These are very minor issues however and for the relative novice not interested in extensive fabrication, but looking for simple reliability - completely acceptable ones *shrug* everything's a compromise.

If it weren't for the OP's set parameters regarding cost, ease & simplicity, I'd recommend a four stroke recumbent for maximum comfort & efficiency, but they too have advantages/disadvantages - primarily being cost prohibitive and/or time consuming to buy or build just the bike/trike itself. If you're courious/bored enough to wonder what I think "ideal" (for myself anyway) for such a distance wanderabout, you could check out the following project;
tad pictures - Photobucket

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 10-24-2011 at 02:29 AM.