View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: I'm really jazzed over a new chain I got today!

Here's a modified bell breaker- the metal guides in the middle come off easily with a pair of needle nose pliers- so at 6 or 7 dollars it's a great deal- at Wal-Mart EVERYWHERE!

on the other hand I bought this expensive motorcycle chain breaker for almost $25 a couple years back- it breaks the chain, but wants to bend it sideways- and it doesn't seem to hold the back plate to push the chain pin back in again- I had to hammer it and it doesn't want to finish it-

am I doing something wrong?- I've worked in bike shops aplenty over the years- and could break my racing chain at the right length on sight. But this thing is screwy-

the old Cyclo breakers back in the day looked like the Bells, but always came with an extra pin- cause those bend easily, especially if you haven't done it before

Don't force the pin- sometimes you can get it started better with pliers. I think you may have to get the pin in slightly to use the Bell to push it back in - the threads on the tool are very carefully of a length as to NOT WORK with the wider width-

this newer chain is actually slimmer looking from side to side- but just as wide inside- not as sloppy as the kit chains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modified bell breaker.jpg (264.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Dont buy this.jpg (220.2 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 10-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.