View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Here's something I figured out as I was going at it... a long twist tie is a great thing for helping to thread the chain through the motor.. tie it firmly to the first link an feed the tie through where the drive sprocket is. When it comes out you can pull (gently) on it as you try to rotate the drive sprocket to pull the chain through. With a loop in the free end you can slide a screwdriver through the tie to pull on. The same twist tie is also great for helping pull the chain together (and hold it together) to find out where to break the chain and in keeping the ends close when putting in a master link.
I keep a few long ties stuffed in the tool kit in case I have to reconnect the chain away from the garage, or ever have to tie down a cable or anything.
I've also found a twist tie is great for holding the extra length of the clutch cable against the clutch arm so it doesn't stab me in the leg with every pass.
Check the garden section of your local hardware etc store for the gardening wire-tie that comes as a coil for tying up your plants. Handy stuff for a couple of bucks.
You could also use the "spark plug" tool that came with the kit. It fits the drive sprocket bolt so insert the chain and use a screwdriver to turn the sprocket.