View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Avid cyclist looking to build 1st motor bike

Originally Posted by turb0_ryan View Post
Thanks for the input.

I do like the simplicity of the design over a frame mounted kit, but I assumed the rear mount would make the bike feel strange in turns or quick maneuvering.

Also, would it be possible to build out a separate rear wheel for use with the motor and swap it out with a standard wheel if I want to go back to motorless? How long do you think it would take to swap? This would save me buying and 'restoring' an old frame for this project and just use a bike I already have. I could also then use it on my mountain bike or road bike depending on weather.
I was also worried about how the rear motor would make the bike feel. I found that it doesn't affect the feel of the bike at all. The bike still feels totally balanced.

To remove or remount the GEBE motor assembly is quite easy. With a little practice, you could do it in about 10 minutes. All you do is loosen the axle nuts and unscrew the support strap. Then detatch the throttle cable and kill switch wire, which is easy if you attached them with a velcro strap. You don't even have to change the wheel as long as you don't mind the plastic drive ring remaining on the spokes.