View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: My review of the GT5_A Superhawk

What you just said below is the point I was making when I said this in my post

Quote: mechanically inclined hobbiest or someone wanting to learn some mechanical skills, NOT the average Joe who just wants a neat toy or someone looking for reliable transportation.

What you just said describes a person with some mechanical skills as you said and someone wanting to learn more than you already know by making the motorized bicycle a cool educational fun hobby project....... You are the kind of person I was speaking of as an acception, anyone I know that is a person like you say you are, I would gladly build a bike up for if they wanted me too and I had the time, you are one of us and NOT the pain in the neck kinda customer many would be that I was speaking of.

I would suggest just getting one extra engine, for the winter project you spoke of and here are some links to where you can get most everything you will need to clean up the ports and ploish up all the rough edges on that project engine if you dont already have all the stuff.

Widget Supply: Burrs and Cutters

Widget Supply: 1/8 x 1/2 inch Bands & Mandrels

Widget Supply: 1/4 x 1/2 inch Bands & Mandrels

Widget Supply: Carbide - Bud

Widget Supply: Carbide - Cylinder - Square End

Best wishes on the project and I hope you get it done just like you want it, just be patient and ask lots of questions here when needed, many very knowledable fellas here that help us out all the time.

Peace, map

Originally Posted by richirich View Post
I can understand what your saying, but it is not true with everyone. I consider myself somewhat mechancaly inclined. I have built a really nice bike. i have gone thru alot of trial and error. I have done all the standard upgrading i could possibly do beside actually taking the case apart and grindind out ports and messing with the piston. I have spent days reading all the posts on this and it is still overwhelming for someone who has never seen it done. the post ive seen on it dont really say what exact motor there are doing it to and everybody seems to have their idea on whats right.
Having a motor with this work already done to it, i would have more confidence in doing my own motors like it. Im kinda looking at it like how many motors and top ends would i go thru before i got it right?
I am thinking this winter when washighton is snowed in ill just buy a few motors and experiment with all the porting and transfer ports and pistons. hopefully i wouldnt screw them all up.
Anyway, just buing a 400$ motor and copying from there seems like an easier solution.
But then again nothing ever seems to be easy...
at least ill have something to do this winter..
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!