View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Why not put a little gas in the oil bottle, mix that up, then dump in the tank and continue filling? I prefer to mix my gas at home and fill before leaving, but I have used this method with success.
I USED to do that. Then I realized it's an unecessary step and another chance to spill fluids and dirty my work clothes. You know, big gas nozzle in bottle's small neck. Pump, pump, spill, drat. Remove dripping nozzle, pour in oil, keep bike from falling over, pump fuel with right hand and hold reserve bottle in left hand. I'm always thinking that the gas pump is on a timer, which might stop pumping if I dilly-dally. I swear, three hands would work very well, pumping gas.

This way, I don't need to keep fuel at home AND remember to bring it home on a weekly basis. I pour oil in the bottle a few days after the last fillup. If I'm running low on fuel while on the road, I use the oil reserve. If I pedal from home to the nearby station, I shut the petcock and pour in oil from the quart container at home. Once at the Chevron, I open the cap, process my debit/credit card, slosh in the gas, complete the fill and pedal away.

After refilling so many times, I had to figure out what works for me and what doesn't.