View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: I bought a virtually new bike

Originally Posted by Tom in Kingman View Post
First off, I could not locate the manual to download. Second, the web site says 16:1 to 20:1 for the first 4 tankfuls. After that about 25:1. What is recommended by those that do this a LOT? Also, replacing a lot of stuff is daunting. Mounting bolts (what size?) As for chain, what part number am I looking for? It sounds like I'm replacing half the bike. I'll check the web sites I was given by dirt and see what I can come up with. Thanks.
I did replace half the bike. Let's see so far I've:
  • Replaced the rear freewheel after the old one locked up.
  • Replaced the rear derailleur after the old one locked up.
  • Replaced the seat after my bu** locked up.
  • Replaced the handle bars with taller ones after my back locked up.
  • Replaced the cranks so I could add a shift kit.
  • Replaced all the chains.
  • Replaced the pedals.
  • Replaced the grips.
  • Replaced all the cables.
  • Replaced all the motor mounting bolts.
  • Replaced all the motor cover bolts.
  • Tuned the carb.
  • Added a SBP shift kit.
  • Added a SBP fuel filter.
  • Added SBP sound dampeners.
  • Added a head light and tail light.
  • Added mirrors.
  • Added a rear rack and cargo bags.
  • Added a speedometer.

I still need to replace the tires and tubes as well as upgrade the axles and brakes. This isn't mentioning the endless tweaking that I've done with it to get everything working decently.

Do some searching for oil ratios on the forum. Everyone has their own opinion, but the manual's ratio is using 30w motor oil. Do some reading and decide for yourself what you want to do. If you use store bought mix (which most new people do) it is different. Personally I just buy Ace hardware brand mix and broke my engine in on one 8oz bottle of mix per gallon of gas. Then I went to 4oz of mix per gallon. So far so good. I guess time will tell if I made a good choice or not.

Sick Bike Parts (SBP) has good chain on their web site and it is pretty inexpensive. If you do not have a shift kit then it is more important to replace the motor chain than the pedal chain. The chain that comes with the kit is pretty much junk.

The best way to make sure you get the correct size bolts is to take the old ones with you to the hardware store. That is what I did.