View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Rode my bike over the hill to Portland today. It was kind of hot out but it was a pleasant ride. I got all the way downtown and back on less than a quarter gallon of gas. At four dollars a gallon it's still cheaper to ride my motorized bicycle than it is to take mass transit and not only that, it goes when I want it to. There is nothing as frustrating as seeing my "light rail" go whizzing by because I just missed it. if I'm riding my bike at least I'm moving.

The hill is fairly steep on the way into town so, on the downhill run I just push in the clutch and coast. I'm not sure if that adds extra wear to my drive system but I know it saves on gas. I don't have a speedometer on my bike but I do have a tachometer so I can see how fast the engine is turning over.I have a 36 tooth rear cog and I was hitting about 5500 RPM at peak times.

I forgot, two days ago I actually found the company that still makes thorn proof tubes. they make them for 26 by 1.85 and the tires I'm running are 26 by 1.5 so I had to make sure that there wasn't much air in them when I installed them. I have about 2 1/2 hours of ride time on them so far in the seem to be holding up quite well.

One other neat thing is that the air doesn't seem to come out these tires overnight. They seem to have just as much air in them this morning as my first pump them up two days ago.

I still carry an extra set of tubes and a patch kit with tools and a pump, just in case.

Last edited by retromike3; 09-08-2011 at 11:35 PM.