View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Mb's for disaster recovery

I was thinking of some real basic jobs that can be done by bike ,haul water, basic supplys,comunication equipment , medical supplys, all that paper work you need .
Theres gota be a hundred more...not to mention just getting to and from work and public meetings,church ,etc.
For some time now my club has been working on a simple bike powered can krusher,there may be ways of useing bike power to do stuff we havent even considered yet?
Farmers have been using power take off systems for years.
A simple interchangeable panieer system on a rear rack would let each bike do multiple jobs within the same day and keep the ammount of equipment needed per container down.
The other thing we had talked about in joplin was how much easier it was to clear paths for a bike vs a car or truck . Many roads are only blocked at one end ,making it very easy to carry a bike a few meters then ride again into outlying areas. It's these types of areas were kids and the elderly who may not have even been in the path of the storm are cutoff from services like doctors or the mail man or whatever.
Clearly ther is plenty of logistics to cover here but planing is cheap and relativly easy overall.
we few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
for he that shares the road with me shall be my brother. be he nare so vile this ride shall gentile his condition . and pedestrians now afoot will hold there manhood cheap when passed by a motor bike geek