View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Vintage Schwinn Build - My First

Thanks for the nice welcome. Actually, my build is pretty much complete and I have been riding it for a few days. You are right .. addicting, I want to build another !
I can't wait to upload some pictures, I have just been too busy lately. I definately have lots to share about this build and documented most of it pretty good so that maybe I can give back a little to the forum. I'm going to try and post some pictures and info tomorrow.

Only one thing thats bugging me about it right now and since you also like old schwinns maybe you can help. The headset assembly on these seem to be a little different than the modern day bikes (or maybe its just me). Mine keeps coming loose. I might have the washer in the wrong spot or something. I need to double check it tomorrow but I thought I placed the washer between the two nuts as shown before I took it apart in the picture. Seems like I have to crank down the nuts really tight to get the play out of the headstock also (to the point where its stiff to turn and ride). I replaced all bearings on this bike including the headset. I might have to take the whole thing apart and check everything out better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headset.jpg (322.6 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by 59Cruiser; 09-01-2011 at 01:11 AM.