View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: max size motor possible for in frame build

Just wanted to ring in here and say that Dan hit the nail on the head on everything he mentioned.

I say go with the asiest set up you can handle, which based on what you said here is gonna be a KIT of some type.

Any inframe set up will require a good assortment of tools and the skill to do a small amount of fabrication ( Normally needed for fitting of mounts of some type ), and some basic mechanical skills.

Click on this link bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor and check out the kits Duane offers here, he gives great customer service and any one of these kits would be a great place to start at getting into the MB-in Hobby.

There are other great vendors here as well who offer excellent customer service and products like Pirate Cycles, SBP...

I say get the LARGE ENGINE stuff out of your mind and just focus on a simple easy to built set up that will get you riding asap and then as you learn from your experiences on that first build, you can build on what you've learned in the future and pursue bigger and better things if you wish.

Duane (ThatsDax) has one of the best friction drive set ups I have seen bar none, and that would be a great way to start out, a couple hours of tinkering and you should be zipping up the road at 25+ MPH

This would be a great place to start, if you dont mind a friction set up.... very simple reliable set up.

Or if you have the skills and the tools go with the inframe kit and then buy oe of his Titan 4 strokes for it.

4 Stroke In frame Adaptor Kit with 3 piece Crank. Everything but the
engine. Fits Titan, Super Titan, 142F, and more. Gear Box is 3:1 with
10T mini free wheel. Only $199.99. 90 day Warranty on Gear box.

and $19.00
90 DAY

Peace, map

Originally Posted by moserclassic View Post
Looking at possible build options and was wondering what larger size engines (either 2 stroke or 4 stroke) that people have tried with success for building of an in frame chain driven combination without tons of custom fabrication (don't have the ability to weld). What types of features would be helpful to have when looking at individual engines (for example clutch sizes, etc.) and helpful in determining if the engine would work well and fit if just a kit was purchased and the engine was bought separately.

I would assume the main limitations to what type and power of engine are weight of the engine, dimensions of the engine (ones with larger horsepower may not mount properly within a bike frame), and overall cost.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some examples of projects that involved larger engines than what typically come in the all in one engine kits? I have searched the diy forum and found some examples but many involve significant custom fabrication which I do not have the equipment for.

I have a high quality steel mtn bike with 29 inch wheels and very nice brakes which I will be installing the motor onto.
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!

Last edited by mapbike; 08-22-2011 at 07:39 PM.