View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: dont know if i do it again

Originally Posted by donutguy View Post
Only thing I could think of if your bike got stolen at home......have a ground anchor installed and use a Kyrptonite Fahgettaboudit chain and lock. Even then.....if a crook has enough time and cutter discs for his angle grinder-anything can be stolen.
You're not kidding. Let me give everybody something to think about. When I worked as contract security for a Pharmaceutical retailer in Cleveland, people were always trying to steal fixtures of various kinds during the night: our bolted-down park bench, the aluminum rails between doors, signs on posts, etc.

The topper came when the manager and I got to work one morning the middle of our parking lot was the RC Cola machine. It had originally been bolted to the concrete next to the door then, because somebody was pulling up the bolts at night, we also used a MASSIVE logging chain in back with a honking huge circular padlock.

Some small gang of thieves had undone ALL the retaining bolts, cut the chain, and DDDRRRAAAGGGGGGGGED this behemoth for nearly seventy feet down the parking lot, leaving deep scrape marks in it, before finally giving up hope of being able to load it into whatever vehicle they might have had. So...they dropped it.

Do NOT underestimate the persistence of thieves!

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 08-10-2011 at 11:35 PM.