View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: engine and rear hub

Originally Posted by bigdaddy55 View Post
I just got my motor in yesterday and I was only missing one nut! But last night as I was reading through the instructions I came across the china girl rear hub with sprocket attached for the engine. GasBike is the distributor for Grubbe and I went to their site and found the kit for $50.

Has anyone tried this hub/sprocket kit, is it worth the money?

A good rear drive is one of the most important considerations when making a MB. The drive that comes in the kits is problematic. It takes a lot of time and patience to get it set up right. Even after getting it perfectly trued it's heavy. If you decide to change your gearing, you have to do it all over again. It's a real pia.

The aftermarket sprocket adapters add cost to a build, but save a lot of time and trouble. Which sprocket adapter is best depends on what type of rear hub you bicycle has. For coaster brakes, the one from Pirate Cycle works well. For a disk brake, a Top Hat sprocket adapter from Kings Sales is probably the best.

I don't have experience with the one you're looking at, but it's probably a good one if you don't mind having to lace it onto your wheel.