View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Cool Re: New guy, need a bit of help!

To avoid a coaster brake you'll probably want a multi-speed cruiser- then you have the cantilever handbrake fittings on the frame- You'll want to get a dual handle brake lever, to make life easier and safer while also fiddling with a clutch handle- about $15- at vendors here and on ebay.

I started with a Micargi 7 speed Panther- I think it was about $150 shipped a couple of years ago- the great thing about the Micargi is that it has an asian hub whose diameter exactly fits our motor sprockets, and even a ridge stop to keep the sprocket alligned and the correct length from the spokes- Schwinns these days have a high quality alloy hub, but it slants toward the spokes- the sprocket fits over it but it has to be supported solely by a rag joint or optional adapter

still have to use the rag joint to attach to my steel hub, but it's the next best thing besides a hub adapter or modifying a flip/flop hub to attach the sprock directly

The other great thing about a derailleur is that it acts as a chain tensioner for the pedal chain- so that it's easier to avoid using a chain tensioner on the motor chain- more reliable and much less weight- and a cruiser frame gives enough clearance usually otherwise- a mountain bike frame less, and a roadbike can have chain clearance nightmares.

The front shock fork was a later addition, and really helps smooth the ride, with a shock seat post added later as well. As a former racing cyclist, I have my seat set up, and it's a great peddling bike as well as a motorbike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg micargi cruise.jpg (355.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg micargigroovedhub.jpg (218.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg with 27 front wheel and Campy brake.jpg (240.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 08-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.