View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
I wouldn't feel bad abt that Perry !
Years back I ran out of fuel more times with 5gal tanks... and when I ran the 2 gal tank I was always stopping at stations when I really did not need fuel!

Only pushed the bike home from closing the bar once. about a mile with a slight upgrade. A block from home at 3am, sitting on the curb looking at the non-starter I noticed the petcock was not turned on.

Did so, and it fired on the second kick.

Gosh, I wonder how far someone can get on a HT running on fumes!
...Like Kramer and the fuel gauge test... LoL

I switched out the MTB handlebars on my MAB-under-construction for some bmx type bars that have 4" more height to them. much more comfortable!
...and more room for all the stoopid cables and stuff.
Now I gotta find a fix for the front center-pull brake.

Back wheel comes off today to flip my dish sprocket around the better way.
Will cut links from the chain and work on an improvement to the kit tensioner also.
I keep my bike in the house, so the petcock gets closed at home and at work. At least twice a week, My bike starts off strong in first gear, then falls flat on its face in second. After pulling to the roadside, it's ALWAYS the closed petcock.

Once I pulled into a gas station to fill gas. Left the petcock on and poured five ounces of oil into the tank, then filled with a gallon of gas. Less than five seconds after starting, the GP460 engine completely fouled out. The open petcock HAD allowed oil into my car-sized FRAM filter. I plugged the gas cap and flipped the bike upside down. This allowed the oil to flow back into the tank. After shutting the petcock, I righted the bike and stirred the mix with a twig. Surprisingly, the engine started up with a little bit of smoke. I rode home a couple blocks away. Since the oil/fuel mixture could not be calculated, I drained the tank, then pedalled back to the gas station and filled up again.

After filling, I went to the library for four hours. When I fired up the engine, it was missing and bogging a LOT, so I started pedalling home, which was three miles away... through the ghetto.As The engine was running and sputtering, a few unsavory punks started approaching me. I pedalled a hundred yards away and rested, figuring I'd be pedalling all the way home. What the heck, I figured, Maybe if I opened up the low speed jet, something good might happen. I turned the screw a half turn and the 460 roared powerfully to life!!

I jumped on my bike and full throttled it home, and the bike never missed a beat after that.