View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Shifter Bike Freewheel Skipping?

I had this issue as well. I am currently modifying my modifications to correct the problems. But first I should mention what I originally did. I have a Huasheng 4 cycle with a shifter kit. I decided to try to add a front derailleur on the crank to select between a 30 tooth and a 24 tooth sprocket. That worked for the most part but I noticed the chain skipping and jumping between the 5th and 6th gears while using both the 24 and the 30 tooth sprocket in the front. I tore down the crank assembly and when I grasped the 24 tooth sprocket the teeth were unually sharp. Looking at it closely I noticed that on one side of the sprocket a groove was worn halfway through the teeth. See attacked pics. I believe that the chain wasn't seating on the 24 tooth sprocket when I was shifting with the derailleur.

I decided to remove the front derailleur and only use the new 24 tooth sprocket I just ordered and I'm replacing the rear hub with a sturmey-archer 8 speed internal hub with a drum brake. Since there's only one sprocket on the rear hub and I'm going to be using the 24 tooth sprocket on the crank I shouldn't have a problem with the chain's slack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-07-19 10.41.48.jpg (240.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-07-19 10.43.37.jpg (237.8 KB, 26 views)
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. - Albert Einstein

I used to say that politics was the second-oldest profession. I have come to know that it bears a gross similarity to the first. - Ronald Reagan

"You do not want to get between Michelle and a tamale." - Barack Obama

Last edited by jburr36; 07-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.