View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Tuned my bike to high octane fuel today... Advanced the timing (make, or buy an offset key), shaved the head a bit, and tuned and tuned, and re-tuned the carb. Port matching, etc, etc.

IT SCREAMS! I mounted my GPS on the handle bars and hit 39mph on flat ground (hard to find in Maine) with the 44t rear end. Which is only 4mph more than I was getting before. That's over 9000 RPMS!!!! But more than the top speed, the torque has made a huge increase. There are nothing but hills where I live, if I'm not going up a hill, I'm going down one, a little bit of flattish land between the hills. So it's greatly increased speed up hill.
One of the steepest, longest hills on my ride I only used to be able to pull up at about 12MPH. I mean a wicked steep hill. Now I can go up that very same hill at about 21.
I'm still going to keep it under 30. I feel it isn't safe/worth it to ride over 30. More sustained high RPMs will kill the engine faster. But I can get around much faster just because I can pull the hills so much quicker.

Last edited by chrisme; 07-11-2011 at 03:16 PM.