View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
MotorBicycleRacing's Avatar
MotorBicycleRacing MotorBicycleRacing is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal, Orange County.
Posts: 5,351
Default Re: Here from El Centro CA

Originally Posted by gateinstaller View Post
I'm new here but here is California law right from there site
Motorized Bicycles.
Motorcycles, Mopeds and Scooters Defined

The DMV website is not written very clearly and has outdated laws
and fees but from the link above.

The $18 license plate fee is now $19

A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:

(CVC 406(a))

A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

– Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.

– A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

– An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion.

Driver must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2).

A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

(CVC 406(b))

A “motorized bicycle” is also defined as a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. .

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC 406(b), you:

– Must be 16 years of age or older.
– Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
– Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC 12804.9).

Last edited by MotorBicycleRacing; 07-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote