View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 07:10 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Silverbear's in frame peanut tank

I skipped clear coat since I didn't sand down the epoxy goobers before painting. Went ahead and mounted it up and am trying to decide if I like it or not. Give it awhile, I guess. The filler tube could be made shorter by 1 1/2 inches or so by grinding or cutting off a bit from the copper pieces and removing about four threads worth of the male portion where the cap fits. It doesn't need to stick up as high as it does. The spot where the old filler was could be made to look virtually invisible by first bending down the edges of the hole before epoxying in the can lid so that it is below the rest of the tank surface at the top and then build it up to the same level and sand it out smooth. Just thinkin'. I may do another one with a different solder I just picked up which is 95% tin and 5% antimony. Still wondering why the solder would not flow into the tank steel. I'd be more inclined to solder it than use epoxy, but looks like the epoxy will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04215.JPG (279.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04216.JPG (268.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04217.JPG (268.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04218.JPG (294.5 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04219.JPG (266.3 KB, 80 views)
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...