Thread: Aloha
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Aloha

Originally Posted by gobigkahuna View Post
Didn't spend too much time up in Kahuku but used to kitesurf at Hukilau Beach a fair bit. Nice and quiet up there. Nice to hear they have a bike path now.

Are you able to carry your bike around Kaena Pt? I seem to remember the road was completely washed out in one section and you had to climb the cliff there. Would be challenging with a mb. Watch out also for the road between Ala Moana and Hawaii Kai. I got hit by a car on Diamond Head Road, and a buddy got creamed by a car in Aina Haina. I've also witnessed tons of moped vs. car accidents in Waikiki.
Since my bike weighed over 100 lbs., Hawaii Ed and I had to push my cruiser thru miles of deep sand in Ka'ena Point Park. Yes, the west end's road is STILL completely washed out. It took two of us to carry my bike up the cliffside to avoid the washout. While up there, I told Ed that we would drop my bike down the cliff into the ocean, if we were to lose our balance and the heavy bike was pulling us over the cliffside.

To ride safely on the two-laned Diamond Head, you might want to ride up to 5 mph over the speed limit. Cars on Kalanianaole Highway drive up to 45 mph in the 35 mph speed zone. There are many driveways along that highway, which makes this long road very hazardous.

People drive crazy in Waikiki, so we just drive straight thru on Kalakaua Avenue. When passing the police substation in Ala Moana Park and Waikiki, I ALWAYS ghost pedal past those places.

If you can keep up with traffic, sometimes the safest lane is furthest from the right curb. On Kalani Hwy, because of the high speeds, it might be safest in the bike lane(where there IS one) or the curb lane.

No hassles from cops. I ALWAYS ghost pedal in every intersections, and when I see HPD.